Friday 5 September 2014

My Night Time Skincare Routine



Establishing a good skin care regime is very important, especially if you’re a regular make up user & abuser like I am. No matter how exhausted I am, I will always make sure my face is clean and nourished before I jump into bed. At night, I like to use products that will help kick start and support the skin’s natural repairing process. My night time skin care routine is therefore a little complex and requires layering products for the best results. This post will show you the exact steps I take and products I use before getting my beauty sleep on! 



Remember, skin care is personal so what may work for me may not work for you. Just for reference, my skin type is Normal/Combination. I’m super oily around my nose, I also do get random dry patches around my face but I’m pretty normal around my cheeks. Okay, disclaimer over. Let's get to the good stuff...



1.  Remove Make Up/1st Cleanse 


This is the first, most important step that EVERYONE must do in their skin care routine. I use the Body Shop's Camomile Silky Cleansing Oil (£10.00) to do this - I've previously written a whole entire post here on how this one product can cleanse your face in one step. I take about 2 squirts of this in my hands and massage it onto my face. I then take one more pump and massage that around my eyes. I rinse my face and then pat it dry. For super duper lazy days, I do a second cleanse with one more pump and stop there.

2.  2nd Cleanse 

In comes my trusty Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser (£13.25) to remove any extra residue/excess make up/gunk off my face . I massage one pump of this creamy cleanser onto my face to further cleanse my skin. I run my muslin cloth under warm water and gently wipe it off. This has been my go-to cleanser for years - read my skin staples post here to see why! 

3.  Tone

Lots of people tend to skip this step but I do think it's pretty vital as it restores and repairs the surface of the skin. I like to alternate between these two different toners every couple of nights just so my skin won't get used to one product. One of the toners I use is the Clarins Exfoliating Toner (£25.00). It contains very small amounts of glycolic, salicylic and tartaric acid which gently exfoliates the surface of skin. It doesn't dry out my skin at all since it contains glycerin. After using this, my skin looks brighter, softer and clearer when I wake up. LOVE it! The other toner I use is the infamous blogger fave, La Roche Posay Serozinc (£5+). This zinc sulphate solution soothes and purifies minor skin irritations. It isn't as transforming as the Clarins toner, but that's exactly why I like to use it. It feels like water on the skin and is a great fuss-free, fool-proof toner. All I do after cleansing is pour/spray either of the toners onto a cotton pad, swipe it across my face and leave the product to sink into skin for a minute.

4.  Serum & Moisturize 

Like my toners, I alternate between two different serums every few nights. I believe serum is the one product that makes the biggest difference to my skin because it penetrates deeper and is full of great ingredients that my skin soaks up. The Body Shop Vitamin E Overnight Serum-in-Oil (£13.00) is the main serum I use at night. All I do is apply a few drops of this in the palm of my hands, rub together and pat it on my face. I love it because it doesn't make my skin greasy or more oily than it is. Instead, my skin is left looking more radiant and replenished in the morning. I also use the Indeed Labs Hydraluron Moisture Boosting facial serum (£24.99) about once or twice a week. This contains hyaluronic acid that boosts moisture levels by absorbing and locking moisture within the skin. A little goes a long way with this so a pea size amount is all you need. I use it in conjunction with my Olay Double Action Essential Moisture Night Cream (£6.10) - I layer this super nourishing night cream on top of the Hydraluron and wake up with plumped, healthy, soft and glowing skin.

5.  Eye Cream  

Last but not least,  I apply the Kiehl’s Creamy Eye Treatment with Avocado (£20.00). I take a small amount of this with my ring finger and gently tap the product under and around my eyes. This eye cream is super rich and moisturising which is something I look for in a night eye cream. It doesn't contain anything super anti-aging, but it's rich texture definitely helps maintain a smooth, youthful eye area.


Keep your eyes peeled for my post on my day time skin care routine!

post signature



No comments:

Post a Comment